|Completion Date||March 22, 2014|
|Runner||Robert 'Sunblade' Brandl|
You may delete my Wii speedrun once this one has been accepted. Its the best time overall in New Game+ and #1 on the official leaderboards.
I will let you have the comments next week.
I left the Wii edition behind because there is a huge demand for RE4 HD speedruns, a lot of confusion about the version differences and the fact that loading times will be included by the game.
Please note that Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD for Steam has better loading times than the console version. We are still investigating if the PS3 version is faster than the Xbox 360 one because you can modify the console with a SSD hard drive and it seems that its slightly faster than the Xbox 360 version.
My objective was get 96 minutes in order to get first place in the official leaderboard. Tanuki666, a player from Spain, is the former world record holder with a time of 1:27:20. It was important for me to correct several mistakes from my old Wii speedrun (01:34:26) from 2013 aswell.
I want to thank Alan Snyder, Michel Van Houdt and Derek Taylor for their support and help during this run. This speedrun is not perfect because I want to keep the door open for the Ultimate HD version since this is the best version to speedrun at the moment.
The following glitches/tricks were used in my run:
- Ditman glitch: The most important glitch in Resident Evil 4. Equip Striker, press RT and quickly press Start, before the red laser shows up and switch to another weapon. Leon does everything about twice as fast, more like 1.5x faster probably, though. Ditman glitch gets cancelled on almost every occasion. Here's a list of things that cancel it: Opening a door, taking damage, guarding an explosion, climbing several ladders, using herbs/eggs/sprays, cgi cutscenes, entering a new area, Get On/Kick/Crouch action commands and aiming/shooting with the Striker.
- Float glitches: I used the Salazar float glitch in 4-4 to skip the boss fight and the Island Float Glitch in 5-1 to skip a big part of a chapter. These glitches require the Ditman Glitch to be active and you have to jump down on a certain spot causing Leon to float in the air.
- Waterfall glitch: This one was used in 2-1. You have to be at the right angle to jump down behind the fence and get the key item without deactivating the waterfall.
- Sewers glitch: This one was used in Chapter 3-2 and works like the Waterfall glitch. If you jump down in the sewers with the right angle, you are able to maintain the Ditman Glitch until the end of the room instead of interrupting it.
- Laser room glitch: It is possible to go through most of the lasers in 5-3 so you won't waste any time with the dodge animations. It's unclear how this glitch really works but you have to switch the weapon, touch the right wall or stop at the exact moment causing the lasers go through you without dodging them. I used A-Ms way to do it since this one is really safe.
- Red Zealot Trick: I used this one in 3-2 and that trick requires an incendiary grenade. Burning that zealot and letting the cutscene play through makes him not run down the hallway and that saves a lot of time.
- Difficulty adjustment: Everything affects the difficulty on normal. Your health, amount of retries, accuracy, deaths and so on. The game can get drastically easier/faster with the proper difficulty adjustments. That was abused in several chapters. All hits I got in this speedrun were intended. This mechanic works on normal difficulty only.
NOTE: Almost every situation in this speedrun was random thanks to the AI, I won't explain every single one right here. :)
2-2 & 2-3:
I used the Red Zealot Trick in this chapter and this required an incendiary grenade. Burning that zealot and letting the cutscene play through makes him not down the hallway. Thanks to the difficulty adjustment in 3-1, I just needed one rocket to finish him off. That area was very difficult because of the two archers who had to miss me with their arrows.
The next area was difficult as well. The third zealot had to run in my direction to not block the path – that happened too much so I did the Ditman glitch there.
3-3 & 3-4:
Because 3-3 is very short and not too random, I decided to play 3-3 and 3-4 together to save a couple of seconds. Thanks to the "Special 2" outfit, this segment can be done very fast without any disturbances. I adjusted the difficulty for 4-1 because I had a couple of seconds left before Ashley reached the door and the game heals both chracters after their reunion anyway.
The end can be very blood boiling if you do not stay calm and focused. Verdugo has two attacks and each one requires a different timing to dodge. I used Ditman in the last room and stopped at a certain spot, so I was able to trick the AI due to my faster walk speed.
I tricked the Novistadors just like in 3-2 and spared a couple of flash grenades. Thanks to Ditman, I was able to pass the last trap without waiting. The timing is very, very strict though. Unfortunately it wastes time if you play 4-2 and 4-3 together because you have to deal with an uncancelable cutscene if the beginning if you dont save at Chapter End 4-2.
The second area was really annoying because of the Ganado with the rocket launcher. I had to adjust this strategy because he hit me every time with his shot and it turned out fine.
The two Regenerados can be dodged without a fake out but you have to be very lucky in order to do so. They have two attacks and they have to attempt the grab so you can dodge them but that rarely happened in my runs so I let that out.
The laser glitch was frustrating me way too much until I used A-Ms way to do it, which is easuer to execute.
I shot against the wall so I guard myself before Krasuer throws his first flash grenade. That granted me to skip the second guarding animation and saves a good amount of time.
The statue push takes precision and is pretty annoying to deal with very late into the segment. The robot part is horrible also if I just run by quickly and the gunner shoots me 90% of the time so I played slightly safer and went around the gunner to avoid his shot. Final Krauser goes down in 1.5 seconds (The high difficulty causes him to run at me which is faster) and I finish the chapter without any problems really.
5-4 & 6-1:
The second part went fine either even though it is unfortunate that the Ganado did not keep the door open for me so I had to activate Ditman a second time but that was almost unavoidable.
The last part of 5-4 is harder than it looks. The two big Ganados can block Ashleys path so I had to trick them with the "Follow me"-command – a bit of luck is needed as well.
If you are interested to watch more Resident Evil 4 speedruns, make sure to follow "Sunblade89" on Twitch. I hope you enjoyed this run!